Makes 5 servings.
|220||g dark chocolate|
|30||ml strong coffee (2 tablespoons)|
|10||ml cognac or brandy (2 teaspoons)|
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a large mixing bowl with the coffee, then place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted. Do not overheat.
- While the chocolate is melting, separate the eggs.
- Remove the bowl from the pan. Blend in the egg yolks, butter, and cognac.
- Add a little salt to the egg whites, and beat to stiff peaks. Then fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the chocolate into five dessert cups. Chill several hours and garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.
Note that the only sugar is from the dark chocolate. We make this with 61% cacao Valrhona, which provides just enough sweetness. Note also that the coffee flavor can be quite strong depending on the coffee used, so adjust accordingly.