|570||g pitted fresh or frozen sour cherries|
|200 to 250||g sugar|
|35||g quick tapioca (3 tablespoons)|
|3 or 4||drops almond extract (optional)|
|0.5||ml salt (1/8 teaspoon)|
|30||g butter (unsalted)|
- Preheat oven to 235° C (450° F).
- Combine all ingredients except the butter in a bowl, tossing gently. Let stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare a double pie crust, and line
a 23 cm (9 inch) pie plate with the bottom crust.
- Pour filling into the bottom pie shell, and dot with butter.
- Cover pie with the top crust and flute the edges to seal them.
Cut several big slits in the top crust to vent.
- Sprinkle top crust with sugar. Cover edges with aluminum foil and
bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180° C (350° F)
for about 45 minutes more. Remove foil about half way through cooking.
If oven does not heat evenly, turn the pie about half way through baking.
If the pie will be eaten à la mode (with ice cream), use the lesser amount of sugar.